Tanzania Conservation Safari
June 20 – 30, 2022
Last Updated: June 10, 2022
Tanzania Covid Facts & Resources
- US Embassy in Tanzania
- Reuters Covid Tracker: Tanzania
- Worldometer: Tanzania
- World Health Organization (WHO): Tanzania
Note: The Tanzanian government is promoting practices to mitigate the risk of Covid transmission such as hand-washing, face masks, and social distancing, though compliance is not always consistent.
Tanzania Entry Requirements
- Foreign travelers are required to submit a Health Surveillance Form 24 hours prior to their arrival into Tanzania. Once you submit this form, you will receive a QR code that will be required to be presented at the time of arrival.
- Fully vaccinated travelers will be required to show a valid digital Covid Vaccine Card with a QR code for verification upon arrival. For more information, we recommend reading the CDC’s guide on how to generate a QR code from your Covid Vaccine Certificate here.
Note: We recommend downloading the CLEAR App (download the app here) on your mobile phone to generate a digital copy of your Covid Vaccine Card.
- Create an account and upload your Covid Vaccine Certificate through the Trusted Travel Initiative
Re-Entry to the US
- Note: The US Government announced that as of midnight on Sunday, June 12, travelers will no longer be required to present a negative Covid to enter the US (CNN Article here).
Requirements for this Trip
- Covid Vaccination: Be fully vaccinated for Covid and up to date with any additional doses of the vaccine you are eligible for. Keep a copy of your vaccine certificate with you throughout the trip.
Note: Please upload a copy of your vaccine certificate through this secure Dropbox link.
- Monitor Your Symptoms: Notify your guide, via WhatsApp, if you experience any Covid related symptoms
- Quarantine: Abide by government quarantine procedures if you test positive for Covid
- Travel & Medical Insurance: Purchase travel and medical insurance that covers Covid-related expenses and costs associated with quarantine
Protocols for this Trip
- Symptom(s) Check: All travelers will be asked to self-monitor and report any Covid-related symptoms to Laly and / or the Camp Manager. Any guest who is showing symptoms will be asked to quarantine in their hotel room and get a Covid test. Symptoms may include:
- Respiratory symptoms
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
- Other symptoms can include runny nose, acute blocked nose (congestion), headache, muscle or joint pains, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, loss of sense of smell, altered sense of taste, loss of appetite and fatigue.
- Face Masks: Participants will be required to wear a face mask throughout this trip when in indoor settings, closed vehicles and when visiting local communities. These masks should fit comfortable over the mouth and nose and must not have a valve. Travelers should pack enough masks to have two clean, new masks each day.
- If a traveler experiences Covid-related symptoms during this journey, below are the protocols to follow.
- The traveler will inform Laly of his / her symptoms via WhatsApp.
- The local team will arrange a PCR Covid test, at the traveler’s expense. The traveler will self-isolate while awaiting the test results.
- As per Tanzanian government requirements, if a traveler tests positive for Covid, he or she will be required to quarantine for 7 days
- Someone from Elevate Destinations’ local team will check on the traveler who is quarantining, twice a day. The traveler can also contact their 24/7 emergency support number. At the safari camps, a camp manager or staff member will check in on the traveler and will be easily accessible through the camps’ two-way radios.
Covid Testing & Quarantining Protocols
- If you experience Covid symptoms, the local team will arrange for you to get a Covid test, at your expense. The cost of a Covid test in Tanzania ranges between $50 – $200 USD.
- If you test positive for Covid, you will be required to quarantine as per government regulations.
- Any traveler that needs to quarantine will do so at his or her own expense at a designated hotel (see chart below)
- The quarantine period in Tanzania is seven (7) days
- There is no PCR test required to exit quarantine
- Below is a chart that outlines where and how travelers can get a PCR test at each location of the itinerary, how much it will cost, and how quickly they can get their results.
|Location||Where to get PCR Test||Cost of PCR Test||Average time for test results||Quarantine Location|
|Arusha||Mount Meru Hospital||$50 USD||48 hours||Rivertrees|
|Nurse flown in from Arusha||$195 – $245 USD||48 hours|
|Ngorongoro Headquarters Clinic||$50 USD||48 hours||Mysigio Camp|
|Kogatende Sample Collection Station||$135 USD||72 hours|
|Noloholo Environmental Center
|Nurse flown in from Arusha OR Mount Meru Hospital||$50 – 200 USD||48 hours||Noloholo or Rivertrees|
Here is a list of all of the documents you will need to print before you leave the U.S. so that you have hard copies of everything.
- Passport Photocopy
- Travel Insurance Policy Information
- Covid Vaccine Card & Photocopy
- QR Code from the verification of your Covid Vaccine Card through Trusted Travel Initiative
- Emergency Contact List provided by Elevate Destinations (coming soon)
- International Flight Itinerary
- $200 USD Cash for possible PCR test
- Profile from the Tanzanian Public Health Surveillance Form