At Elevate, we value connection and experiences across diverse cultures. We see travel as a conduit – bringing us closer to one another through our shared humanity, reminding us of how much we have in common and opening our hearts and minds to new perspectives, people, ideas, and ways of life.
However, we know that without intention, thoughtfulness, collaboration, continual evaluation and meaningful action, travel can reinforce systemic racism or unequal power dynamics abroad and at home.
We stand by the principles of antiracism, racial equality, and structural changes that lead to equal opportunity. We need to see more of this direct and intentional work in the travel industry and we are taking steps at Elevate to address this need internally.
To move the travel industry in a more ethical direction, we must all become actively anti-racist. At Elevate, we are doing that by:
- Informing ourselves about racism and anti-blackness in the travel industry and beyond as a team and on the individual level
- Engaging in workplace conversations around race and biases
- Providing workshops for our clients and industry peers on “Power and Privilege” and “Developing Meaningful Conversations While Traveling” with a racial equality consultant
- Moving conversation into action by actively identifying and supporting black-owned and run businesses and organizations around the world
- Reexamining the narratives that are expressed either explicitly or implicitly through our journeys
- Welcoming suggestions, feedback, and collaboration – especially from black and brown members of our community
We recognize that this dialogue and action does not end with this statement. We have to stay the course through the discomfort and challenges that come with making change. We are posting this statement to hold ourselves accountable so we can be a part of building a more just society and industry. It is imperative that we stand together to dismantle the systemic forces that have brought us to this moment in time, to show our sustained support for black lives and their inherent importance.
The Elevate Team