Travel with a positive impact
At Elevate Destinations, we believe that the act of travel is sacred. It has the power to transform lives and landscapes, and can be wielded for better or worse.
At Elevate, we strive to be on the right side of that equation. Our mission is to implement sustainable travel programs that achieve our clients’ goals while empowering local destinations. We create partnerships with a positive impact.
We ensure the trips we organize create a positive impact by thoroughly vetting our value chain.
- Support conservation efforts and work with communities on anti-poaching initiatives and other human/wildlife conflict
- Participate in innovative livestock compensation schemes
- Conserve and protect habitats conducive to species protection and join other special efforts to preserve endangered species
- Ensure wildlife cannot get into human food/trash or compost
- Educate guests not to feed or approach wildlife and discourage guests from trying to get the attention of animals in an aggressive or disruptive manor
- Select insect sprays that won’t harm the native flora or fauna
- Ensure they have not built nor have plans of building on sensitive wildlife areas
- Research and monitor wildlife with the local community or specialized organizations
We select lodges that implement the following sustainable policies and practices where available:
- Develop guest engagement and donation opportunities to promote conservation initiatives
- Practice effective and safe waste water treatment and disposal and thoughtful water usage, especially during drought
- Practice sustainable energy use (solar, wind, minimal generator use, etc.)
- Minimize trash and waste (lodges that compost and recycle) and practice of “leave no trace” policies
- Minimize or eliminate single-use plastic water bottles and straws
Community and Employee Impact
Elevate Destinations has signed the Code of conduct for the protection of children from sexual exploitation in travel and tourism and expects all of its partners to refuse and report involvement, both direct and indirect, in the commercial sexual exploitation of children. Learn more at thecode.org.
We look for lodges that implement the following points where possible:
- Are owned or partially-owned and operated by local/indigenous communities that protect wilderness and conservation habitat
- Hire or train local community members
- Hire women
- Offer fair and adequate pay for staff
- Provide training and professional development opportunities
- Have programs for guest engagement in local issues and communities
- Are members of the CODE and committed to the protection of children from sexual exploitation
Buy A Trip, Give A Trip
Elevate Destinations is democratizing travel through our award-winning ‘Buy a Trip, Give a Trip’ program. The innovative program allows local children to visit tourist sites in their own country. Visiting historical sites, seeing conservation projects, and getting up close with wildlife is an immeasurable experience for local youth—many of who have never traveled out of their own villages.
As one of the first green travel companies, Elevate Destinations is always adopting innovative ideas to promote social responsibility in the travel industry. This model is unique to Elevate Destinations and has won numerous responsible travel awards.