ARISE iTAG Workshop: South Africa
October 2 – October 6, 2023
HEALTH INFORMATION & IMMUNIZATIONS
Prior to travel, Elevate Destinations strongly recommends that you look into recommended immunizations for your time in South Africa. Given that we are not a licensed Health Care provider, we cannot advise travelers on which immunizations they may need. We recommend that all travelers do the following:
- Consult with a travel clinic or your primary care physician regarding immunizations or other precautions you may need to take in order to participate in this journey. You will need to do this well in advance of your trip as some vaccinations require time to take effect, and you may need to allow time between a series of shots.
- Visit the CDC Health & Safety Guide for South Africa to view recommended vaccines and medicines, travel health notices for the region, and other tips for staying healthy and safe.
- Check that your health insurance covers you in South Africa. If it doesn’t, please note you are required to purchase supplemental medical insurance that will cover you in South Africa.
Please note that this trip requires that travelers are in good physical condition. To participate in this trip you must be able to:
- Walk at least one mile without difficulty on uneven surfaces
- Spend extended periods of time on your feet
- Climb sets of stairs without assistance
- Keep pace with an active group of travelers
- Ride comfortably in a vehicle on bumpy roads for extended periods of time
Your guide and local support staff will give you current briefings on safety while in-country, but here are some basic ground rules for safety while traveling:
- Keep all valuables in the hotel safe or in a locked suitcase.
- Avoid flashing money. Be mindful of your belongings at all times. Keep bags in front of you in crowds, and on your lap when at restaurants.
- Pay attention. Avoid walking around with your smartphone in hand.
- Be vigilant when crossing roads.
- Stick with the group.
- Always make sure that others know of your whereabouts and movements.
- Avoid street protests or large gatherings.
- Do not wear expensive or sentimentally valuable jewelry while traveling.
- Let your local support staff know if you have any safety concerns.