STATEMENT ON THE CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19)
We understand that COVID-19 is having a global impact. This is the current summary of the spread of the virus. Therefore, non-essential travel has come to a halt in April. Now is the time to reconnect with our loved ones virtually, show solidarity to others by taking precautions and slowing the spread of the virus. We are in this together. As always, we recommend following the World Health Organization’s preventative measures.
It is important in times like these that we remind ourselves of our values. We believe responsible travel makes the world a better place. We know that travel will become an instrumental step in rebuilding lives and livelihoods around the globe once it is safe to resume. We are committed to continuing to open up the world up to our travelers in new and profound ways when the time is right to pursue this. We prioritize partnering with local vendors, supporting the local economy and elevating the work of numerous NGOs and legendary changemakers around the globe. We believe these values are more important than ever now and feel committed to continuing to serve all of our stakeholders with reasonable, well-informed decisions.
We encourage everyone to continue to explore our policies below for additional information on how we are managing the situation surrounding the containment of COVID-19.
Elevate Destinations’ Protocol:
We are triangulating our sources of information so that we have a more complete picture of what is being recommended. We encourage others to look at multiple sources of information too before making your decision. We will be alerting travelers to new safety policies or travel restrictions that may impact their trip.
Please find below some resources to help advise you about travel safety and precautions:
- Interactive map of Coronavirus outbreak
- Center for Disease Control update on the Coronavirus
- Overseas Advisory Council (OSAC)
- State Department update on Coronavirus
- Sign up for travel alerts from the State Department
- World Health Organization
- We have been and will continue to monitor daily updates and information on COVID-19 in destinations where we are traveling and provide updates to clients on any changes that could affect their program.
- For each country where we operate, we have identified the medical facilities/clinics/hospitals capable of providing the best available care to our guests if required.
- Elevate Destinations strongly recommends that all travelers have travel insurance for any trip they wish to take with us. Note that some insurance options require purchase within 24 hours of making payment for your trip. Elevate Destinations recommends that travelers evaluate the insurance options available for their needs and inquire with providers about “cancel for any reason” insurance. Some insurance companies are suspending “cancel for any reason” insurance so please get clarity on what is covered before purchasing insurance. All travelers are required to submit any travel insurance they purchased to Elevate Destinations to pass along to our ground partners. Local guides are required to have a copy of all relevant insurance policies for participating travelers in hand for the duration of the trip.
- Every Elevate Tour Manager/Guide (“Guide”) is individually briefed about key health and safety measures for each program. This includes the following:
- During the Tour Manager’s safety and security briefing upon arrival, guests will be strongly encouraged to alert the Guide immediately if they have any symptoms typical of a cold or flu at any time during the program. For this purpose, he/she ensures that all guests have access to his/her mobile phone/WhatsApp number.
- All guides must ensure vehicles have hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol and wet wipes. Vehicles must be cleaned and wiped down with anti-bacterial cleaning products before arrival each day.
- During the arrival briefing session, the Guide will share the CDC’s preventative measures with guests.
- The Guide will also proactively approach any guest who shows symptoms (cough, fever, etc.). Such guest will be asked to stay at the hotel and to avoid contact with other people as much as possible. If symptoms persist, the Guide will organize an evaluation by a medical practitioner as soon as possible and follow said practitioner’s instructions. He/she will also immediately alert Elevate staff, who will alert the client.
- In case of any concern at any time during a program, or a guest is suspected of having, or is diagnosed with COVID-19, the Guide shall follow the instructions of the local authorities and health facilities. He/she shall also keep Elevate informed at all times. Elevate will alert and communicate with the client and any emergency contacts.
- In the event of a positive diagnosis on a program, a decision on whether the other program participants need to be tested as well is made together with local health authorities. It remains the responsibility of the individual traveler to make sure that they have proper health coverage before taking this trip.
- Furthermore, Elevate will decide together with the client and the local health authorities whether to proceed with or cancel the remainder of the program.