- Trek to find the rare and elusive mountain gorilla in their natural habitat.
- Embark on game drives and bush walks to discover the safari experience.
- Connect with local people and business owners to learn about life in Uganda.
- Meet with Batwa tribesmen and women to uncover their fascinating and heartbreaking story.
Day 1: Arrive in Entebbe
Boma Guest House
Upon arrival in Entebbe, you will be met by our representative in arrivals. Drive 10-minutes to the nearby Boma Guest House to settle in and spend your evening at leisure.
The Boma dates back to the 1940’s and has retained all of the charm and character of its previous life as a private home. Set in a leafy suburb, the tropical gardens and European décor are warmed with uniquely African touches. Not only convenient and exclusive, the Boma Guest House also boasts all of the creature comforts one would expect from a high-quality hotel.
Day 2: Bwindi Forest National Park
Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge
Rise early this morning for your flight from Entebbe airport to Kisoro airstrip. Upon arrival, you will be met by a guide who will escort you for the 2-hour drive to Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge and Bwindi Forest National Park.
This rainforest is said to be 25,000 years old, making it one of Africa’s most biodiverse habitats. The altitude of this mountain park ranges from 1200 – 2600 meters. Five rivers and a high annual rainfall make the climate rather humid. Besides its mayor attraction, the mountain gorillas, the Bwindi National Park is also home to an amazing 120 mammal species, 350 species of birds, 202 species of butterflies and over 200 species of trees.
Clouds Mountain Gorilla lodge is small and remote, situated high atop a ridge, with sweeping views overlooking the Virunga Volcanoes in the distance.
Each of the private cottages are constructed from volcanic stone and decorated with locally-sourced artwork.
The afternoon is yours to relax, or enjoy a community walk nearby to explore your new surroundings.
Day 3: Bwindi Forest National Park
Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge
Before 8 am, you’ll report to the ranger station for registration and a talk by one of the rangers. The guides will then take you through the bush pushing your way through the undergrowth, parting thick creepers, to track the gorillas. The trek can take from half an hour to 7 hours. A reasonable degree of fitness is required as well as a sturdy pair of walking shoes.
Once you are close to the group the guides will ask you to leave behind your bags as no food items should be carried close to the gorillas. Just take your cameras with you. Here you’ll have the opportunity to sit in the forest amongst the gorillas, listening to them grumble to each other and marvel at the sheer size of the dominant male: the silverback. It is an extraordinary feeling sitting in the dense rainforest, knowing you are with a few of the last remaining mountain gorillas in the world. Sadly, there are only about 650 of these beautiful creatures left. You are allowed exactly one hour with the gorillas before returning to the base station.
Day 4: Bwindi Forest National Park
Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge
This morning, embark on a 3-hour walk through the Buniga Forest, with the opportunity to participate in a Batwa cultural experience. Despite being the original inhabitants of this area, the Batwa people have been heavily marginalized over the years. Visiting the Batwa allows for a glimpse into their fascinating culture.
In this afternoon, set off on another walk to visit businesses that make up the cornerstone of this community, including: the banana brew (a local gin maker), the blacksmith, and the local medicine man.
Day 5 – Day 7: Kidepo Valley National Park
Apoka Safari Lodge
Early in the morning, depart for a 2-hour drive back to the Kisoro airstrip, from where you will fly back to Entebbe. From Entebbe, you will fly to Kidepo airstrip where a driver will be waiting to escort you to the Kidepo Valley National park and Apoka Safari Lodge.
Apoka Safari Lodge is located in the middle of rugged savanna-land of Kidepo Valley National Park. Game drives and walks at Apoka are directed by nature not time.
You have three days to indulge in your new surroundings. Enjoy a walking safari along a sandy dry riverbed fringed with palm trees or climb to the top of a rocky outcrop and take in the spectacular views. Move slowly along isolated tracks to fully appreciate everything around you, looking for tracks and signs of the animals’ movements. You can stop at any point to investigate further. Track the lions, cheetah, zebra, waterbuck, Jackson’s hartebeest, warthogs, patas monkeys and huge herds of buffalo.
Afterwards, relax in your outdoor bathtub under the stars or take a dip in the big rock swimming pool overlooking the savannah and a waterhole frequently visited by animals before having dinner at the main building.
Day 8: Departure
This morning you will depart for Kidepo Airstrip for your flight to Entebbe, and onward departure home.
• All ground transportation as well as fuel and transfers, as per itinerary
• All meals as specified in this itinerary
• Accommodations as noted in this itinerary
• Water in the vehicle
• Activities, as indicated in the itinerary
• All game drives in 4 wheel drive vehicles
• Ranger guide fees
• Park and conservation fees
• All applicable taxes, administration, and banking fees
• 1 gorilla permit per person. Gorilla viewing is subject to availability of permits, which are limited. Any additional gorilla permits required should be purchased when booking. Gorilla permit prices are subject to change without warning.
• Charter flights
• All soft drinks and alcoholic beverages, only at Clouds Lodge and Apoka Safari Lodge
Cost does not include:
• International flights (apart from Kigali-Nairobi flight quoted as option above. Airfare is current and subject to change without prior notice.)
• All airport departure taxes
• All passport and visa fees (US$50)
• All meals not specified on this itinerary
• Specialty wines, spirits and champagne throughout this itinerary
• Items of a personal nature (i.e. fax, telephone, etc.)
• Any extras and additional activities not mentioned in the itinerary
• Travel/medical insurance
• Laundry in Entebbe/Kampala
• Gratuities for guide/driver/hotel staff
• Trip cancellation, travel delay or baggage insurance
• Charges incurred as a result of delays beyond our control